Monday, April 20, 2009

Adjusting to Daily Life with 3

It's been 2 weeks now since Brayden has entered our world. Wow does time fly! I think it's partially because I am delirious from lack of sleep! Also without having to work at a paying job, a Monday is the same as a Saturday!

Brayden has been a joy to have in our lives! I say that now since he's sleeping peacefully (and not crying without us being able to figure out what's wrong)! Everyday he is becoming more alert and aware of the world around him. He opens his eyes more often looking around at everything. Recently he has become cranky and somewhat inconsolable in the early evening hours. His umbilical cord fell off at 10 days and his day 2 surgery (that only a male requires) has healed.

Over the past 2 weeks my maternal instinct has kicked in drastically. I didn't know that I could change a diaper, hold, dress, comfort, consol, and LOVE a baby (not just any baby - my baby!) without thinking until now.

I've had to call the pediatrician twice so far. One was a 'new Mom call' and the other worthwhile. On day 3 his little chin was red and raw from feeding and I didn't know what to do. The simple answer is put lotion on it - I was oblivious to the easy answer on day 3! He also had an infected tear duct that was causing him to get crud in his eye (8 in 100 babies get this) and the doc prescribed ointment for his eye and he's better now.

For me the hardest part of having a newborn is breast feeding him. Breast feeding babies eat every 2-3 hours (formula extends this by an hour)! And each feeding takes a good 40 minutes. I just don't pop a bottle in his mouth and call it a meal. I have to get comfortable, sit with him for 15 minutes on each side (at 2am and then at 5am), and move him around to keep him awake since he really has to work for it (otherwise we both fall asleep). Then there's the burping, swaddling, and comforting him to go back to sleep. No wonder formula is so popular! I have used my Medela pump once thus far (so I could have my first well deserved beer in FOREVER!) and he drank the milk in 5 minutes that would take me 30 minutes to give him. I am going to continue breast feeding for as long as possible, but this is the main thing that I have shed a few tears over. Brayden is totally dependent on me and I can't get any help from Dan in this area.

Life with a newborn honestly has its ups and downs, but ultimately that precious itsy bitsy handsome (if I may say so) fellow staring back at me makes it all worthwhile!

0 comments:


Free Blogger Templates by Isnaini Dot Com and Archithings. Powered by Blogger